Mount Moriah Cemetery is an historic burial ground incorporated by an Act of the State Legislature in 1855, one of several rural cemeteries developed in Philadelphia between 1845 and 1860. The cemetery originally consisted of 54 acres. While reports indicate that the cemetery is 380 acres, a review of real estate records indicates that it is approximately 200 acres. Philadelphia and Yeadon share equal shares of the cemetery, which spans Cobbs Creek.
Due to the massive size of the cemetery, many churches and other organizations established smaller lots within its bounds. A Romanesque gatehouse fabricated from brownstone was designed by local architect Stephen D. Button in 1855. This was once the entrance to Mount Moriah on Islington Lane, today known as Kingsessing Avenue.
There is a naval plot located within the cemetery that is managed by the US Department of Veteran Affairs. They estimate more than 2,400 navy officers and sailors have been buried in Mount Moriah Naval Plot since the first interment on March 26, 1865. A separate Soldiers’ Lot is also managed by the department.
[one_half][button color=”green” size=”medium” align=”center” link=”http://friendsofmountmoriahcemetery.org/contact/”]About the Friends group[/button][/one_half] [one_half_last][button color=”green” size=”medium” align=”center” link=”http://friendsofmountmoriahcemetery.org/about/recent-history/”]Recent History[/button][/one_half_last]